Tips to be successful at your JOB
Below is the extract of the same, which primarily was addressed to ‘New Employees’ in any organisation; however to me it seems to be mantra that everyone should apply – new or old!
These are a few tips to succeed as an employee at your workplace and it is applicable through the length breadth of any organisation’s chart.
- If you want to get ahead in the world, become a highly-concerned observer of the passing scene.
- LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN – Don’t try to show off your knowledge – it will become known as you use it – if your mount is open, you are not learning
- Mentally challenge everything – not vocally – particularly the assumptions that are build into the situation
- Really listen to your peers – make them to like you – they are your best resources
- Do all possible to help your boss raise his/her status
- Develop a business plan for every assignment you are given – allocate your time and resources – develop calendar checkpoints
- Your availability is your most important asset – it should be directed UP, DOWN and SIDEWAYS
- Work at giving the perception and the fact that you are aware of the feelings and goals of others
- On entering a new situation, get an organization chart of your department showing names and responsibilities of your peers – walk the halls and let others see you
- Ask for help and show that you appreciate it, it is the best way to make friends
- Do not try to impress others by relating your education, travels or accomplishments – they will all become known in due time
- Do what you say you will do – if you can’t, let that be known
- Your first assignment is to become part of the team and not its leader
I, for sure, do relate to these words and can find a lot of meaning to all that has been said. Most of us always feel that we know all these things, but the big question is: Is just knowing it good enough? Are we applying these in our work life?
If your answer is YES, then you must be a successful person in professional life. Else, you know what you have to do!! Right!!
All the best!
Disclaimer: The above is not my creation and I do not intend to claim any right on it. I could not trace the source of this information, hence am not able to mention the same.