Sometimes it seems as if we’re on a collision course with insanity. The pace of life, the endless demands and incessant contact through email, cell phones, and other “electronic leashes” seem to keep us in a constant state of alert. I’m convinced that stress management is as much about the little ways we decompress daily as it is the big annual “week at the beach” vacation.
Here is a list of a few simple ways on HOW TO to reduce STRESS.. a few of them I’ve used regularly. Many of them may be a “blinding flash of the obvious” but if you practice one, several or all of them on a regular basis, I predict your life will become more peaceful, less stressful and more joyful to live.
- Spend some time everyday just sitting…watch clouds float by or listen to the birds;
- Savor a cup of tea or other soothing beverage;
- Give time to someone who cannot repay you;
- Pray or meditate;
- Laugh at yourself…lots!;
- Enjoy the company of a pet;
- Watch children playing at the park;
- Take a nature walk;
- Read poetry;
- Look around and find five things to be thankful for…write them down;
- Stretch your body from head to toe;
- Arrange a bouquet of flowers or work in a garden;
- Call a friend;
- Burn candles and watch the flame;
- Massage your hands or feet;
- Ask someone else to massage your hands or feet;
- Breathe deeply;
- Have something beautiful in your office to reflect on;
- Send someone a handwritten note of thanks or simply a “thinking of you”;
- Walk through the produce section of a grocery store or market and marvel at the colors, smells and textures;
- Drive the speed limit;
- Reduce your caffeine;
- Listen to music that soothes…classical, baroque and jazz are proven stress-relievers.
Our lives are made up of thousands of moments, lived one at a time. Taking a few minutes everyday in which to relax, reflect and rejuvenate is a great way to remind us that we can choose peace anytime of day.
“Be happy with what you have while working for what you want.”